Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Databases and blogs - oh my!

Databases and blogs

You might be asking why I am writing about databases and blogs together (maybe that's a librarian thing...) since databases are collections of credible data and information for student research. While a blog (a shortened version of “web log”) can be written by anyone about their experiences, opinions, etc. So potentially credible, but they are not always a good source for research and must be evaluated - check out Hennepin County Library's Databases vs. Websites on evaluating web resources.


Databases


  • I have updated the database page on the RHS media center site. You can check out the new version here

  • I also added a link up in the right-hand corner that explains how to access the databases on and off site. Users will need to sign into their Richfield Google Apps account to see this information.

  • For accessing the databases that are provided by the state (Gale and EBSCO), users must enter a public library card number when not at school. This is to verify that they are in the state of Minnesota since the state is paying for us to use them.
  • Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improving this page.

Blog


  • I have finally put the last couple tech write-ups in an informational blog format so it’s more accessible: Library Without Borders

  • I’ve also included some links on the right for your use. These links can be found on the RHS Media website too. 

  • Again, let me know if you have any suggestions for this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment